BZ Wednesday Class Poster
BritZone Wednesday Class (July 3rd, 2013). The topic was about “Gap Between Industry and Academy : Problem and Solution”. It was conducted by Akhmad Sofwan, an IT expert a.k.a technopreneur. At the first time he was contacted the PIC of Wednesday class, he wanted to bring a topic about the same topic above, but he wanted to added a particularly on computer major in university. But when the day come closer, he was confirmed the PIC that he wouldn’t talking with particularly in coputer major, but it would be more common.
The day was a little rain, the PIC felt a bit worried what if Akhmad Sofwan couldn’t came due to the rain or traffic jam, but thanks God he was came on time. Evidently, before he came inside, the PIC met Doni Sumitro, one of BZ member, and he was asked to the PIC “what’s the topic and who/s the conductor?”, then the PIC said “we’ll talking about Gap Between Industry and Academy, conducted by Akhmad Sofwan. You know Sofwan?”. Then Doni said again “Oh god, of course I know him. He’s my bussines partner, who’s supported IT in mine, and I just met him this morning, but yeah this is so unpredictable that I’ll meet him again here (BritZone class)”.
Then after Sofwan came to the class, it was looked like a little reunion among Doni and Sofwan, while the PIC waiting for the other to come to the class, a moment later one by one member came. The class has begun!
At the beginning, Sofwan made a little table about the difference between industry and academy, we can see at the table below :
Table of The Difference Between Industry and Academy
The conductor was tried to stimulate the people who came to speak up their opinion about their own experiences. I think, still so many people who had so many opinions and experiences related to this topic, but the time was not enough to told all of them. Perhaps in the next session with the similar topic, everyone will tell what their heart want to say.
The points that the PIC can get about this topic are :
1. Academy as the non-profit institution, sometime still give a higher price to the students, that’s why in Indonesia still so many people who are decided to not continuing their study in university.
2. Mostly, the industry are only concern to GPA-oriented for their students, so if you have a higher GPA the company will take you as the employee, but if your GPA is worse so the company will diselect you from the list.
3. There’s still a big competition in professional world.
4. Mostly students didn’t make the plan before they were took a major in the university, so the knowledge that they have got will be useless.
5. The academy should be combine the basic knowledge with the entrepreneur skill, so the students can solve the problem of unemployment in Indonesia.
6. Mostly, the students took their major because what their parents want, to follow their culture to not fight the parents in every way in a good purpose..
7. The government should make a standarization for curriculum in Indonesia, a single way for continuously time, so they no need to change the curriculum in 5 years time range.
The time was running out and Sofwan tried to made a conclusion about his topic, the result is so many perceptions related to his talks but the time was over. And the PIC would close the session. Before it was really closed, there are some new comers. Two of them are the news anchor or reporter on Kompas TV, the rest are assistant lecturer and seaman. After that, the PIC told the class that it was the last BZ Wednesday Class (for temporary) in order for celebrating Ramadhan and also there two members who had a birthday several days ago, they are Yudha (former BZ President 2012) and Doni Sumitro. It was an amazing temporary-epilogue Wednesday class, memorable!
And here are some photos documentation of BZ Wednesday Class (July 3rd, 2013) :
July 3rd, 2013
PIC Wednesday Class.